Monday, December 29, 2008

Damsel in Distress

I am one who tries to be self sufficient as much as possible, but there are times when I find myself in trouble that only can be saved by someone else. Today I started my errands by dropping off some papers to a primary teacher. As soon as I pulled up next to her house I knew that I was in trouble. The front right tire did not feel as if it was in a good position. I had tried to move over far enough on the road so I would not be in the way but instead I had moved over too far and now my car was certainly going to be stuck in the ditch, in the snow. After taking the papers, I thought that I needed to try and get out but nothing I tried worked. What in the world was I to do? Martin had only been asleep for 3 hours and with the washing machine running he was not going to hear his phone. I tried it anyway...no answer. I ran across the street to a members house to see if her husband was home... he was at work. I am trying to think of what to do when a truck pulls up in front of my car. An older gentleman gets out and offers to try and tow the jeep out. While we are hooking up another older gentleman stops to offer his help. I am feeling really stupid at this time and don't even know how to offer my help. We try a couple of times to pull my car out but instead it slides further down into ditch and the snow is now so deep it is at the bottom of my car. (I have a jeep mind you) As I was meeting Katie to do some shopping, she finally arrives. I give her my house key and ask that she go wake up my husband. The older gentlemen went in search of wood to put under my tires as to give some...whatever, I don't know. Everyone comes back. The wood is placed, Martin takes the driver seat, and out the car comes. So what did I learn from all of this besides not to get stuck in a ditch that is filled with snow? I learned that all I could do was verbally thank those men for their help although they deserved so much more. They were strangers who stopped to help another stranger in need. Since I don't even know their names they are still strangers. Since all I could was say thank you I have decided that it is now my turn. The next time I see someone in need and I can do something to help, I need to slow down and just do as the Savior would and help. And in return all I will get will be a thanks but then hopefully the cycle will continue.

No comments: